Saturday, October 22, 2011

children: more work than you want, more rewarding than you deserve

One thing that has fascinated about having kids is the immediate bond I felt with both Max and Lydia.  It's not like I needed to get to know them first, or they needed to get comfortable with me before it happened.  I would even say I felt this bond before they were born.  I remember thinking while they were only a few days old, "Wow, I am surprised by how much I love these two little snotty, poopy, crying, needy, slimy alien-like creatures.  I don't even know them yet I already love them more than almost everybody else I know."

I have also been surprised by how excited I am when they grow older and bigger.  Carrie is always saying how sad she is that her "babies" are not as small as they used to be.  All I can think is that I can't wait until they can crawl, talk, walk and someday learn to intentionally scare mom.  I have very minimal nostalgia for their previous phases.

Just my thoughts.  Anybody else have a similar experience?

No comments: